Winnetka Historical Society contacted our company in
2003 in hopes of restoring the Schmidt-Burnham Log House.
The cabin, like many others built in the early 1800’s,
has been moved numerous times before finally being moved
to Crow Island Woods.
The goal was to save as much of the original log building
as possible. Many of the log faces were still in good
condition, with only in the center of the logs rotting
and much of the chinking was still in tact. Every log
was removed, analyzed, restored and then reinstalled.
We made sure to replicate the dove tailed corners as
well as matching the old hand hewn markings.
After nearly 3 months of work, the cabin was completed
and then re-opened to the public in September of 2006.
Read about this article in the “Winnetka Talk”
or read more about the history and restoration of the
cabin at the Winnetka
Historical Society’s website.
Year Built: early 1800's
Year Repaired: 2006
Log Repair / Replacement